Monday, May 24, 2010

Antietam

On our third day in Gettysburg, we headed down to another Civil War battlefield.   We went to the Antietam Battlefield in Maryland.   It wasn't raining but it was overcast and cold! Yuck!  It was, however, a beautiful drive now there.  Like I said before, if I wasn't so aware of the winter weather in this part of the country, I'd probably live here.  But I know that snow pretty much sucks!  

I really don't want to rehash the whole battlefield story so I'm pretty much just going to post some photos.  An interesting tidbit that I did pick up from this visit....Clara Barton, the founder of the Red Cross, was a nurse at this battlefield during the civil war.    Here are a few photos.  What can I say??  It's just a beautiful area.  Sad that there is such a bloody history here.   These first two photos say as much :(




In this photo is the Bloody Lane.  It is named so because of the massive casualties here. 



Here are a few other photos of the battlefield and various landmarks on the field. 









Next stop was Harper's Ferry......




No comments: