Friday, June 18, 2010

Awesome Maine....

While we were staying in Boston we took a little day trip to Maine.  Wow!!  If I'd know how beautiful it would be I'd have booked a week there!  It was Memorial Day weekend and quite crowded.  But the weather was beautiful and so were the sights.  Our first stop along the way was in York.  We found probably one of the most beautiful beaches I've ever seen.  I wish I had brought my suit but unfortunately when I think of Maine I don't think of sun bathing.  But then what do I know!!!  This was as far as we were able to get into the water. 


After York, we drove up the coast through the various towns like Olgunquit and Kennebunk.  We finally stopped in Freeport.  There was a very special reason I wanted to stop in Freeport.  Can anyone guess??  Here I'll give you a hint.....


The LL Bean outlet store.  Very cool!!  Only picked up a couple of tank tops there but I had to see it.  I did get a very cute pair of shoes at the nearby Clark's outlet (there is a story behind that one....for another time).  Oh, and Russell threatened to buy a kayak.  Yeah, I would have liked to see how he got that bad boy back to Arizona.....

The next stop was lunch.  And keeping with our goal of sticking with the local cuisine we went looking for the nearest lobster shack.  And we found this place in Freeport.....



Where I got to meet this guy....




Before he was dropped into a pan of boiling water and became my lunch.



It was somewhat disturbing.  I've come to the conclusion that I never again want to see my food alive just moments before I'm going to eat it. 

As for the cuisine....well, I tried it but my opinion about lobster didn't change.  Still don't like it much.  And it didn't help that 1) Russell and I looked like dorks trying to crack the shell (we totally looked like we didn't know what we were doing)... 2) Seeing the guts of the lobster just was not appetizing at all and 3) Beer was not served!!  Not much of a beer drinker but maybe it would have eased the pain of thinking about what the poor little guy had to go through  :(

Well that was Maine....next up Concord!


No comments: