Monday, November 3, 2008

I Really, Really Hope Frozen Peas Do The Trick

Russell had shoulder surgery this morning and he is zonked out right now. He had a pretty significant tear in his labrum. I've heard it is a tough recovery so I'm bracing for a tough couple of weeks.

I went with him to the orthopedic surgery place at 6:15 this morning. It was quite funny to see him in his sexy gown and shower cap :) I really wanted to take a picture but he wouldn't let me. I don't know why I didn't....I mean really....he only has one working arm. How much damage can he do!

It's pretty boring waiting for someone in surgery and I'm just an antsy person so I left for a little while. The absurd highlight of the whole morning came in the post op room. The nurse told me the doctor prescribed some kind of contraption which helps in applying a cold compress to the shoulder. I have no idea what on earth she was talking about. All I know was that there were two choices and some other guy was going to tell me all about them as soon as he answered his page.

Well he showed up and right away blurted out "You know your insurance does not cover this and it costs $280. Do you still want it?" I'm sitting there thinking WTH! Then I turn to my highly "doped up" husband and ask, "What do you think honey?" The minute I say this I just want to gobble my words back up. What the heck am I doing asking the guy in the bed who looks like he's wishing for his happy place!?! (or maybe he was already in it)...

So I asked the guy why didn't they discuss this with us before the surgery so we could both make an informed decision. I then wanted to know exactly what this contraption does. He tells me that it ices his shoulder. Okay...now, I'm trying to wrap my brain around this. I mean I really don't want to deny something from my husband that he really needs but honestly.....wouldn't a 67 cent bag of frozen peas do the same thing. The guy really doesn't tell me anything. Will it help him? He just shrugs his shoulders. Is it something that is necessary? No response...seriously. So I decided against it. The nurse was very reassuring after this fine, "informative" gentleman left. She told me that I could make my own icing contraption with a garbage bag. We'll have to see how that works out!

Well, I updated the look of the blog. It still looks pretty basic but I'm learning. And I'm old so I'm a little slower. I went out and bought "Blogging for Dummies", so hopefully I'll come around. A little tidbit I did pick up in my brief scan of the book is that pictures are very important. So I will leave with a few pictures from our trip last weekend to the Breeders Cup in Cali.




















Later Gator!!


~Wendy

No comments: