Tuesday, May 19, 2009

The Making of a Hero

Many, many moons ago when my son was four years old he had a rather terrifying experience. Actually, it started out more terrifying for me....

My husband and I were watching TV when we heard this blood curling scream. You know, it's the kind of scream that sends the stomaches of all mothers right down into their toes. Makes their hearts stop. Where they are certain that they are going to find their children (or at least one of their children) in the most horrifying of conditions.

In this particular situation, the scream came from my son. We both ran to the bathroom to find him cowered in a corner and pointing at the floor. There we saw the dreaded scorpion. You know....those things that roam around all Arizona homes and wreak havoc and terror on all inhabitants!!!!

"I STEPPED ON THE SCORPION!!!!!!" he yelled.

As a mother, I did the best I could to comfort him. I carried him upstairs with big sister lingering not far behind. I washed the bottom of his foot and inspected it for any sign of injury. I then called Poison Control. I did all of this while he continuously wailed.

While I was on the phone with Poison Control, he wailed at the top of his lungs and yelled "I DON'T WANT TO DIE!!!!" The lady at poison control chuckled in the background and said, "Tell him he's not going to die".

Why do I write of this.....well possibly, because, eighteen years later, this is what I think of when he calls me at 7:30 on a Friday morning to tell me of how he worked to give aid to a dying man the night before. He tried to save a life he couldn't save.

Wow....how quickly time goes by and how fast things change.

He couldn't slay scorpions when he was 4....but as an adult, he is facing bigger obstacles everyday.

I am so proud of my son.....I am so proud of both of my children.

They constantly amaze me.

No comments: